Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 24. Transportation And Motor Vehicles
Agency 30. Department of Transportation
Chapter 41. Rules and Regulations Governing Relocation Assistance

24VAC30-41-580. Section 8 Housing Assistance Program for low income families.

A. Program features.

1. Section 8 is a rent subsidy program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to enable low-income families to rent privately owned decent, safe and sanitary housing. Section 8 is administered by local housing agencies. Landlords receive a subsidy representing the difference between 30% of an eligible tenant's adjusted gross household income and reasonable housing rent as determined under program rules.

There are three types of Section 8 housing:

a. A certificate based on the income of the recipient and the rent paid;

b. A voucher, which pays a specific amount toward the recipient's rent; and

c. Market rehab unit.

The first two program types are portable, meaning the benefit moves with the recipient. The market rehab form stays with the housing facility.

2. Section 8 assistance has a feature that is superior to the relocation rent supplement in that it is not limited to 42 months, but continues as long as the recipient household is income eligible. The district office should make every effort to relocate existing Section 8 recipients to units in which their Section 8 benefits will continue. If a normal relocation rent supplement is paid, the local housing agency may consider this income, and disqualify the displaced household from eligibility for Section 8. It may be difficult to reenter the program, as there is usually a long waiting list. The district office should closely coordinate with the administering local housing agency.

B. Replacement housing payment computation. In order to transfer Section 8 benefits the recipient must relocate to a decent, safe and sanitary unit in which the owner agrees to participate in this program. Local housing agencies generally maintain current lists of participating owners and properties.

The criteria below will apply, corresponding to the type of Section 8 program the displacee is receiving:

1. For the certificate program, rent must be less than the ceiling set as fair market rent in the HUD schedule for the local area. Housing agencies will provide a copy of the current HUD established local schedule.

2. For a recipient in the voucher program, Section 8 will pay up to the housing authority approved payment standard for the area. This is usually 80-100% of the fair market rent in subdivision 1 of this subsection. The recipient may pay the landlord the difference if actual rent is higher than the standard.

3. Market rehab Section 8 recipients may remain in Section 8 on concurrence of the local housing agency and the landlord.

In determining the rent supplement amount, assume utility costs are the same as before relocation. An effort should be made to use comparable dwellings meeting Section 8 criteria. The standard of base monthly rent should be used, which is the lower of the following: existing rent before subsidy, market rent, or 30% of income. Under the Section 8 certificate program, rent paid should be the same as 30% of income. However, this will not always be the case in the voucher program. An example is provided below:

Rent Supplement - Section 8 Voucher Program


Displacee household income


30% of income


Fair market rent and contract rent


Actual rent paid (Section 8 voucher = $225)



Displacee moves to comparable housing at $550/month and retains Section 8 voucher paying $225 to landlord. VDOT pays rent supplement on incremental difference between 30% of income ($300) and actual replacement rent ($325).

($325 - $300) X 42 months - $1,050

C. Displacee options. The agent will inform the displacee of the replacement housing payment, both with and without Section 8 participation and advise of the following options:

1. Accept VDOT conventional rent supplement, which is limited to 42 months, and may disqualify the displacee for Section 8 in the future;

2. Receive down payment subsidy of $7,200 to assist in purchase of a replacement dwelling; or

3. Retain Section 8. VDOT will pay rent supplement only to the extent of any difference between Section 8 subsidy and base monthly rent (as in above example). In most cases, the VDOT payment will be $0. Tenants should be encouraged to accept this option if they plan to continue to rent and have no prospects of significant increase of income.

D. Tenant not on Section 8 before displacement. Determine rent supplement based on comparable unsubsidized housing, and the lesser of existing rent, market rent or 30% of income if classified as low income by HUD. This is a conventional rent supplement situation. If the tenant moves to Section 8 housing as a replacement, recalculate based on the net increase (if any) in monthly housing cost to the displacee after applying the Section 8 subsidy.

Statutory Authority

§ 25.1-402 of the Code of Virginia; 42 USC § 4601 et seq.; 49 CFR Part 24.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 3, eff. November 21, 2001; amended, Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 13, eff. April 6, 2005; Volume 30, Issue 26, eff. October 26, 2014.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.