Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 24. Transportation And Motor Vehicles
Agency 30. Department of Transportation
Chapter 151. Land Use Permit Regulations

24VAC30-151-240. Dams.

A. VDOT may permit dams for farm ponds within the right-of-way. The local Soil and Water Conservation District, as defined in § 10.1-500 of the Code of Virginia, will coordinate the approval of all requests to establish farm ponds, including existing or proposed roadway occupation of the dam, with the district administrator's designee. For the purpose of this section, a roadway will be considered to accommodate a farm pond dam if:

1. Any part of the fill for the roadway and the fill for the dam overlap;

2. The area between the two embankments is filled in so that the downstream face of the dam is obscured; or

3. A closed drainage facility from a dam extends under a roadway fill.

B. Permittee responsibility. The permittee acknowledges that VDOT's liability is limited to the maintenance of the roadway and that VDOT has no responsibility or liability due to the presence of the dam, the maintenance of which shall remain the responsibility of the permittee.

C. All other roadway occupation of dams shall be in accordance with the Secondary Street Acceptance Requirements (see 24VAC30-151-760).

Statutory Authority

§ 33.2-210 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 26, Issue 12, eff. March 17, 2010.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.