Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 24. Transportation and Motor Vehicles
Agency 30. Department of Transportation
Chapter 151. Land Use Permit Regulations

24VAC30-151-250. Railroad Grade Crossing or Encroachments.

Applications for permits to construct railroad tracks over, under, across or along the right-of-way of a state highway must be made by the railroad company or other company which will use the tracks. Permits shall not be issued to concerns contracting for such operations. All permit applications for highway grade crossings of secondary highways shall be accompanied by resolutions from the county board of supervisors, approving the crossings.

Sketches shall be submitted with the permit application, which show clearly the angle of crossing or location of the tracks with reference to the centerline of the road, the entrance onto the right-of-way, departure from the right-of-way, and width of the right-of-way of both railroad and highway. The grade line of the railroad must conform to the grade line of the highway and be so indicated on the sketch. Any necessary alteration in grade, due to crown of the highway, must be adjusted by the railroad company with the use of plant-mix-asphalt material, or as may be specified by the district administrator's designee.

Statutory Authority

§ 33.2-210 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Volume 26, Issue 12, eff. March 17, 2010.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.