Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 24. Transportation And Motor Vehicles
Agency 30. Department of Transportation
Chapter 41. Rules and Regulations Governing Relocation Assistance

24VAC30-41-530. Payment computation.

A. The rental replacement housing determination is 42 times the amount obtained by subtracting the base monthly rental including utilities (heat, electric, water and sewer) for the displacement dwelling from the lesser of:

1. The monthly rent and estimated average monthly cost of utilities for a comparable replacement dwelling as defined in 24VAC30-41-30; or

2. The monthly rent and estimated average monthly cost of utilities for the decent, safe and sanitary replacement dwelling actually occupied by the displaced person.

B. The district office will determine the rental rates of comparable housing by use of the three comparable methods (24VAC30-41-430), except with regard to the adjustment of asking price. Less than three comparables may be used for this determination when it is concluded, after a diligent search, that fewer comparable rental units are available. If the determination is based on fewer than three comparables, the project file will be documented as to the efforts to locate comparable housing.

C. The base monthly rental for the displacement dwelling is the lesser of:

1. The average monthly cost for rent and utilities at the displacement dwelling during the last three months. For an owner-occupant, use the fair market rent for the displacement dwelling. For a tenant who paid little or no rent for the displacement dwelling, use the fair market rent unless its use would result in a hardship because of the person's income or other circumstances; or

2. Thirty percent of the average gross household income from all sources if the amount is classified as low income by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Income must be supported by tax documents, employer verification, etc. If the district manager determines that income is not disclosed or the amount is not adequately supported, the benefit will be based on rent and utilities in subdivision 1 of this subsection; or

3. The total of the amounts designated for shelter and utilities if receiving a welfare assistance payment from a program that designates the amount for shelter and utilities.

D. Utility costs of heat, electricity, water and sewer must be included in both the displacement and selected comparable rent. Reasonable efforts should be made to secure accurate information. The displacee's utility bills or a statement from the utility company is best. If actual costs are not available, a reasonable estimate should be made based on size and type of unit and other factors. The basis for the utility estimate should be documented in the project file.

E. If the displacee receives public assistance that allocates an amount for housing costs and the displacee has been informed of such allocation, the payment will be considered within the individual's financial means and the rent supplement will be computed in accordance with this section.

Statutory Authority

§ 25.1-402 of the Code of Virginia; 42 USC § 4601 et seq.; 49 CFR Part 24.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 3, eff. November 21, 2001; amended, Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 13, eff. April 6, 2005.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.