Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 3. Alcoholic Beverage and Cannabis Control
Agency 5. Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority
Chapter 10. Procedural Rules for the Conduct of Hearings Before the Board and Its Hearing Officers

3VAC5-10-90. Evidence.

A. Generally. All relevant and material evidence shall be received, except that:

1. The rules relating to privileged communications and privileged topics shall be observed; and

2. Secondary evidence of the contents of a document shall be received only if the original is not readily available. In deciding whether a document is readily available the hearing officer shall balance the importance of the evidence against the difficulty of obtaining it, and the more important the evidence the more effort should be made to have the original document produced.

B. Cross-examination. Subject to the provisions of subsection A of this section, any interested party shall have the right to cross-examine adverse witnesses and any agent or subordinate of the board whose report is in evidence and to submit rebuttal evidence except that:

1. Where the interested party is represented by counsel, only counsel shall exercise the right of cross-examination;

2. Where there is more than one interested party, only counsel or other representatives of such parties shall exercise the right of cross-examination; and

3. Where there is more than one group of interested parties present for the same purpose, only counsel or other representative of such groups shall exercise the right of cross-examination. If the hearing officer deems it necessary, in order to expedite the proceedings, a merger of such groups shall be arranged.

C. Cumulative testimony. The introduction of evidence which is cumulative, corroborative or collateral shall be avoided. The hearing officer may limit the testimony of any witness which is judged to be cumulative, corroborative or collateral; however, the interested party offering such testimony may make a short avowal of the testimony which would be given and, if the witness asserts that such avowal is true, this avowal shall be made a part of the stenographic report.

D. Subpoenas, depositions and request for admissions. Subpoenas, depositions de bene esse and requests for admissions may be taken, directed and issued in accordance with §§ 4.1-103 10 and 9-6.14:13 of the Code of Virginia.

E. Stenographic report. All evidence, stipulations and argument in the stenographic report which are relevant to the matters in issue shall be deemed to have been introduced for the consideration of the board.

F. Stipulations. Insofar as possible, interested parties will be expected to stipulate as to any facts involved. Such stipulations shall be made a part of the stenographic report.

Statutory Authority

§§ 4.1-103 and 4.1-111 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR125-01-1 § 1.9, eff. December 12, 1985; amended, Virginia Register Volume 4, Issue 6, eff. January 21, 1988; Volume 5, Issue 2, eff. November 24, 1988; Volume 6, Issue 2, eff. November 23, 1989; Volume 8, Issue 6, eff. January 15, 1992; Volume 10, Issue 11, eff. March 23, 1994.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.